Sunday, January 15, 2012

Design for a Cause

Wallets Illustration

This is another school project that I really enjoyed working on.
The goal was to design two wallets (inside and out) that would go together.

Deciding on a concept was a great challenge. Having the creative freedom to do anything I wanted seemed to work against me when I started the project. But after some great advice from my Illustration teacher - to make a list with things I would like to draw and things that I wouldn’t - I knew exactly what I wanted to do: I decided to do something that was meaningful to me.

I remembered that a couple of years ago I watched “The Cove”, a documentary film that analyzes and questions Japan’s dolphin hunting culture. It was awarded the (2010) Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. I was really shocked when I first watched the documentary, and a part of me didn’t want to believe something like this happens in the world.

Please take a few minutes to watch the trailer of the documentary as well as a short campaign clip.

 



My idea for the project was to create a small campaign based on the documentary, that would help bring awareness, and a wallet would work great, as it is something that everyone has with them at all time.

As far as the design goes, at first, I thought that I would need to create something very graphical in order to catch people's attention, and I’m glad that idea wasn’t approved. The final idea was a simple, clean and subtle design, which I think it’s even more effective. On the outside of the wallet I decided to go with an illustration and a quote from the documentary, while on the inside with an abstract pattern created with shapes that give the feel of waves and water.

For the style, I came across Riccardo Guasco, an illustrator, painter and cartoonist, whose style caught my attention from the start, and worked well with what I wanted to do.

This is a project that I would like to continue working on it and expand it. I would like to do a series of illustrations, and furthermore, my goal is to find sponsors that would be willing to support the cause and make these available to the public as wallets, t-shirts, posters, hats, and so on, and donate the profits to the cause.

Below you can see my designs:


How you can help:

No comments:

Post a Comment