Saturday, February 11, 2012

Character Portrait

One of the first things I learned in Photoshop was how to merge images together, how to create new textures and scenes.


I haven't had the chance to play with photomanipulation in a few years, so when this school project came along, I was really excited. The project required to combine both photography with illustration - a scene with two characters interacting. One of the characters, the person, had to be photographed in the studio, while the illustrative character could have been created using any media.   

A lot of people asked me how I created the scene, especially the ice owl. To be honest, it's not that hard to achieve this effect. Yes, it does require a lot of work (it took me around 14 hrs to be pleased with my owl), a lot of image warping, creating light, and knowing when to stop adding.

I do not have a detailed tutorial for this, but to get an idea of how the owl is constructed, I can give a few tips. I started drawing the shape of the owl, then, I introduced the water effect, which are photographs of water. I warped them around the owl shape and used the liquify tool to give the "wavy" effect. The light and the movement effect are just the effects of Gausian Blur and Motion Blur.

I know it may seem vague and it could be hard to imagine it is so simple, but the truth is, it is simple. You can create anything in Photoshop. There are hundreds of amazing tutorials out there; you just have to look and start playing!

A big Thank You to my friend Kate for being an amazing model for this project!


No comments:

Post a Comment