Sunday, September 11, 2011

Behind A Brooding Exterior


Some of my favourite projects during 1st year in Graphic Design were the editorials. The image above is part of one of them. We had to illustrate an article using Fimo and scratch board. It was my first attempt at using these mediums, and it took me about a week to complete both concepts.

The story behind it:
A minotaur falls in love with the one girl who can see the pain behind his brooding exterior.

Process:
I started by building a minotaur skeleton out of aluminum wires for better structure, and then I covered it with Fimo. Besides Fimo, I used pieces of leather, chains and different metals to add textures and visual interest.

I drew the girl on scratch board and used it for composition, trying to reflect the main character's thoughts. Also, by drawing her on scratch board and not building her from Fimo, the main focus was on the minotaur.

Working with Fimo and scratch board was a fun and rewarding experience. I had found that mixing colours upfront gives you better results than working with only solid colours, and using different tools like a folding bone, an x-acto knife or tweezers are great for adding textures. You can create anything you can think of, and like with anything else, the more you experiment with it, the better you'll get at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment