I found this video about “The ins and outs of applying to art school”, and some of the topics are very interesting and useful. One of the topics that caught my attention was “What to say at an interview when applying for an art program”. Showing your portfolio is as important as talking about WHO you are NOW as a young artist, WHAT are you thinking about, WHY did you chose that particular institution to apply to, as well as WHAT are your goals and HOW you can achieve them.
Some of the topics from the video are:
- The differences between studying at a traditional school versus a dedicated art focused college
- What are the standard admission requirements
- Do you need experience when applying to an art school
- What can students do to stand out during the application process - “Be yourself...the school that accepts you is a school that wanted you for WHO YOU ARE”.
- Advice for students that work while earning their degree
- What kind of career opportunities can students expect once graduating?
- What are your options if you go to an art school and find out that is not the right fit for you?
- Can you still be a professional artist if you do not attend an art school?